Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Barney's Leaving without Us??!!

Thursday May 23, 2013
Barney the Big Purple Bike took a bath and jumped in a box.

Barney nearly naked and in the midst of his bath
Barney in the box
 
Martha's parents came in for the weekend from K.C. to see us before we depart on THE BIG RIDE. My mom came over for dinner to be part of the fest.
The Creators
 
So, Barney leaves with the UPS person tomorrow a.m. destined for our D.C. hotel. He'll be waiting for us and ready to get out of that box when we arrive early Saturday afternoon.
Baxter II is giving Barney's box a good luck send off
 
Martha and I joined the local club ride this a.m. on our singles for a little 30 mile spin. Martha did great, but admitted that she wished she had a few more bike miles behind her as we get ready to depart. No matter. She'll be like all the great Tour riders. She'll just ride herself into shape as we go along.

I did get just a little nostalgic on today's ride. Thinking about some of the things I'll miss while we're gone. Friends. Family. Club rides. Our home. Summer in the South. But that's okay. THE BIG RIDE has been in the planning for a quarter century and now is its time. Besides, I'm taking my navigator, my techno geek, my business advisor, my soul mate, my stoker, my best friend - my wife! on THE BIG RIDE. That's all I need.

3 comments:

  1. I will be thinking about you guys!! I am jealous of all the wonderful experiences you will have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for you two and will be following your big adventure closely. I hope to follow in your bike path some day soon. Tailwinds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know that all of us wish that we were with you guys! Have a ton of fun and stay safe!

    ReplyDelete